Monday, November 13, 2006

We Are Not Alone - The Canadians Are Coming


Ciao a tutti,

They're everywhere they're everywhere, and they are just like you and me! I couldn't be enjoying this more, connecting with Italian's of every walk of life and from every part of the world. And there is a thread that binds us all.

I am not talking about Italian, Italians. I am talking about "Something"-Italians, or Italian-"Something." You know what I mean, like "Italian-Americans," "Italo-Canadians," "Australian-Italians," "Argentinian-Italians," etc. We are a breed unto our own, a culture within a culture, within a culture. We are all different and yet very alike in so many ways.

This week I was invited to a screening of the "Italo-Canadian" Platinum Image film "Looking for Angelina." The story is based on a true story about an Italian family, the Napolitano's, who emigrated from Italy, lived in New York for a few years, and then immigrated into Canada.

It goes through this particular family's trials and tribulations, especially the racism and discrimination they encountered. The story unwinds tragically, with an ending that made world news at the turn of the Century and a judicial ruling that was overturned due to worldly, and mainly American intervention.



The film was made by up and coming Italo-Canadian film producing team, Sergio Navarretta, as Director, and Alessandra Piccione, as Screenwriter.

They are quite they dynamic duo and are bound to make waves, both in the Italian communities around the world and in Hollywood, if this film, their first major venture together, is any indication.



"Looking For Angelina" is due in theaters in the US market sometime in Spring '07 and stars two rising actors Lina Giornofelice and Alvaro D'Antonio, also Italo-Canadians.

As a matter of fact they play husband and wife in "looking For Angelina," and will play husband and wife again in a film still to be titled in which they co-star with Whoopi Goldberg, also due in theaters next year. The two of them have such chemistry, I wouldn't be surprised if they play husband and wife for many more films to come.

And what I was getting from the beginning of this blog, is that as soon as I met these people I felt like I had known them all my life. We had each other laughing and we carried on and had a great time.

Here is a picture of us before going into the theater, myself, Claire Ambrosio, actor, Manuel (Manny) Urrego, and the films leading actors Lina and Alvaro. You probably recognize Manny from HBO's "Six Feet Under" or CBS's "Robbery Homicide Division."

This is actor Michael Desante, his lady-friend, Noelle Perris, and myself. You probably recognize Michael from Showtime's "Sleeper Cell," the film "Soldier of God," or maybe even his soap opera days on NBC's "Days of Our Lives."

It was interesting how laughing and talking loudly we then all went in to see the movie, which ended up being no laughing matter. The acting, storyline and direction brought the audience to tears a couple times. When we exited the theater I looked at all of them differently, the actors, the director, the screen writer, etc.

Now that is the power of good writing, directing and acting, and good old fashion Italian passion. Here these are fun loving people, huomorous and jovial, but when it got down to the desire to tell a serious story, boy they told it. After a few minutes of seriousness, we were partying again.

I actually had a bottle of homemade Limoncello, that Chef Richard Lombardi, my CO-Host on the Filippo and the Chef Show had made and wanted me to bring to our mutual friend Claire, who I would be seeing that night.

But after I had met my new "cousins" from our neighbor to the North, I waited until the crowd had thinned out and then went and got the bottle from my car and served everyone Chef Richard's Limoncello. Above are Claire, Alvaro and Alessandra toasting to Richard.

I don't know if it was the Limoncello, but right after that they invited me to the after party at the famous Polo Lounge at the Beverly Hills Hotel, in Beverly Hills.

With the group that I saw that was going, like Ron Gilbert, a well respected Producer, among other things, actor, coach, etc., actress Dina Morrone, Stephen Rivkin, sought after film editor for such movies as "Pirates of the Caribbean," Claire Ambrosio, entertainment attorney, etc., I just knew we were going to be talking "shop," movies, distribution, release, etc.

But no, surprise, what did we talk about? We talked about the contrast and similarities between growing up Italian-American and growing up Italo-Canadian. That is what I mean, there is this binding thread that bound us to each other and to "The Old Country."

It was a very satisfying evening and I am so glad to not only have meet them but of having meet them later on in the week a couple more times for interviews for a future airing of the Filippo and the Chef Show, and for fun.

Boun Viaggio e Felice Ritorno, Sergio, Alessandra, Lina, e Alvaro, e in bocca al lupo con il film. Keep us posted!

Above is a picture of Alvaro D'Antonio, myself, and Ron Gilbert, who by the way, you saw die on My 13's "Desire," the new American Telenovela.

And finally, here is a picture of me with Dina Marrone and Stephen Rivkin. I haven't caught her show yet, but Dina has a one woman show called "The Italian In Me." See what I mean, it's in all of us!

*************************************************************************************

Out of the blue I get invited to this party at a Penthouse in Beverly Hills in honor of Carushka. I had plans to interview my new Canadian friends that night, so I had to pass on it. But when we finished early because they had plans themselves for the evening, I rushed to the party in time to take this picture. I would say it was worth it, he, he.

Okay, what is the Italian connection? Well, I started out the blog by saying, they are everywhere, everywhere. Here I was going to a party thinking this would be just for me and for fun, when the host of the party, Shawn Sullivan the designer of Etu Couture, sees me come in and literally exclaims "I can't believe you made it, hey everybody, this is Filippo of Filippo and the Chef."

Of course I was flattered and very surprised, but of course he blew my cover. The next thing I know, people are happily asking me, what is Filippo and the Chef,and then telling me their Italian connection stories, or that they were Italian-American themselves. Nothing could have made me happier than to have such conversations and I was glad it happened that way.

Above is a picture of me with model Wrenna Monet, who has a four page spread coming out in Maxim next month as well as being the cover model for next month's Street Trucks Magazine. She is a principle on the TV car show "Skid Marks" and is host of "Fashion TV" on the Fashion channel. She won Miss Alaska Hawaiian Tropics and, a, oh, a, that's right, we were talking about the Italians, reluctantly moving on. Pictured with us is Dean Walker, the first British-Italian, or is it, English-Italian, I have meet, that I know of. He is a rock and roll singer/songwriter but can, and actually has been requested to sing, "Nessun Dorma," from Puccini's Opera "Turandot" in a public appearance.

This is Tommy Bruno, a fellow Italian-American with great stories to tell. With my mouth open like that it looks like I was in the middle of one of my stories myself. And judging from Mel Grayson's smile, it must have been funny.

Mel is not Italian, he, he. He is however a celebrated Art and Fashion Director at the Fashion Institute and an Image Designer, or Creator, for a lot of stars you would recognize.

Tommy on the other hand not only tells his stories, he expresses them through his art. Among other things, he is a graphic designer and creates art work for magazine covers, like Boulevard Magazine.

He also touches up photos and not only make the stars look good in photo shoots, but brides too on their wedding day, aahhh, how sweet.

Finally, I had to include this picture. This guy made me laugh. He said, in his own words, "I'm not Italian, but I play one on TV." Guess what, he is Jewish. What is it with the Italian parts going to Jewish actors?

He was funny and he liked my Gucci shoes. Well, he didn't know they were Gucci, he just told his girlfriend that he liked them and she told him they were Gucci. So obviously, he has good taste in shoes, women, and acting roles. He is Jason Slavkin and she is the beautiful Kristina Friend, and with that sense of style, and good humor, he should go far. Don't steal too many Italian roles.

Per adesso, basta (That's all for now),

Filippo


P.S. Speaking of Italian immigrants in the early 1900's, the time that "Looking for Angelina" takes place, here is another example of those of us who carry the torch for our heritage, and yet another way of how we do it. A new acquaintance of mine, Nick Romano, is doing some very interesting things out in Temecula, CA. He is building an Italian Villa and a vineyard, to be called Villa Romano.

I am planning on interviewing him on our Filippo and the Chef Show so I will be sharing more about him and his dream. In the meantime, I thought this clip was very apropos this week. Here is a video clip of the story that started it all for him.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love that phrase . . . "the thread that binds us all." which is the heartbeat of our Villa Romano Villaggio Italiano concept and will be the driving force as my business partner and architect, Michael (Bullo) Montgomery, and I build and operate our Italian village on 20 acres in Temecula's wine country. We've been told hundreds of times by Italians of all degrees of lineage that "build it and they will come." We love meeting other Italians and the first question everyone asks each other is "what part of Italy is your homeland?" Then the stories come out along with the Italian pride!

The short film "The Cheese With The Pear" came together on a fluke. Three weeks ago, our grading permit was approved so I wanted to shoot some "before and after" footage of the land for our future documentary. The idea of filming a young shepherd and some goats was a salute to Rocco, my grandfather, whose first job was a goat herder. When I saw the footage, I buried myself in front of my MAC and told his story of emigrating to America. Our extended family has heard bits and pieces of our grandparents' tough journey and endless challenges in the States so I wanted to collect and group some of them around old photos. It's my personal salute to Rocco and Domenica, my grandparents, but I quickly realized there are literally millions of Italian stories just like theirs.

I have to thank Thomas Tamburello for playing the part of my grandfather and to Marco Missinato for his perfect music score. And to Mary Midstokke's herd of goats. In my mind, they truly captured the look, mood, and feel of the early 20th century in southern Italy.