Thursday, April 12, 2007

Director Peter Miller's Film - Sacco and Vanzetti


Ciao a tutti,

About four or five years ago, I was invited to the National Italian American Foundation's (NIAF) Convention in Washington, D.C. to sing for the NIAF Board of Directors. I was also invited to participate in all the conferences, dinners, meetings, seminars, etc. held during those three days.

Remember when I said in a previous post that I would eventually get to talking about some of the people pictured in that post which had gotten too long for details? Well, one of those people pictured in that post with me was Joe Cerrell. At the time, Joe was the President of NIAF and he personally took me and introduced me to many of the movers and shakers that were present at that event.

I guess, Joe knew something I didn't know. Come to think of it, he is one of the worlds most noted Public Relations Consultant, of course he knew. Saying I was honored is an understatement.

Not only that, at every meeting I attended he introduced me from the podium along with the other honored guests. Honored is not the word, there has got to be a stronger word for what I felt.

Someday maybe we will talk about some of the very interesting people I met at that event and at many similar events since then, as if the ones I have posted about till date are not interesting enough.

One of these people was a man who was in the process of raising awareness for a film he was working on about two Italian immigrants who lived at the turn of the Century named Sacco and Vanzetti.

I had never heard of these two or the incredible story about their lives here in America that not only captivated the world but rallied the world to their cause.

I remember thinking this story was very important and I was disturbed that I hadn't heard of it before. I remember wishing I could help this man get this very important story out to the general public.

Unfortunately, I had long forgotten this meeting, this story and about Sacco and Vanzetti until I read in one of the Italian Internet Forums that I belong to, that a film was going to be screened in Los Angeles about Sacco and Vanzetti.

I was reminded of that man I had met years ago and wondered what had happened to his film, or if this could be the same man.

I made contact with the production house and secured myself tickets to the screening and an interview with the Director immediately afterwards.

The film was mesmerizing and compelling to say the least! More about the film in a moment.

Then I got to meet the director, Peter Miller and the first question I asked him is if he had ever been involved with NIAF.

Imagine how happy we both were that we had indeed met years earlier. And I couldn't help but be amazed at how wishes do come true. Here I was in a position to do what I had wanted to do years ago, help Peter get the story out.

And here it is.

First of all, Peter gave a great interview and you just have to hear it when it airs in a few weeks on radio. If you miss it, do go to www.FilippoandtheChef.com and hear it in our archives which are usually updated a week or two after the shows air.

Secondly, as a way of telling you about the film, here is a breakdown of the story as described by Willow Pond Films on their website. Do visit them to learn more.

SACCO
AND VANZETTI is an 80-minute-long documentary that tells the story of Nicola Sacco and Bartolomeo Vanzetti, two Italian immigrant anarchists who were accused of a murder in 1920, and executed in Boston in 1927 after a notoriously prejudiced trial.

It is the first major documentary film about this landmark story. The ordeal of Sacco and Vanzetti came to symbolize the bigotry and intolerance directed at immigrants and dissenters in America, and millions of people in the U.S. and around the world protested on their behalf.

Nearly eighty years later, the story continues to have great resonance, as America once again grapples with issues of civil liberties and the rights of immigr
ants.

SACC
O AND VANZETTI brings to life the personal, political, and legal aspects of this heartbreaking story. The powerful prison writings of Sacco and Vanzetti are read by actors John Turturro and Tony Shalhoub. A chorus of passionate commentators propels the narrative, including a number of older people with personal connections to the story.

Artwork, music, poetry, and feature film clips about the case are interwoven into the storytelling. Through the tragic story of Sacco and Vanzetti, and the inspiring images of those who keep their memories alive, audiences will experience a universal – and very timely – tale of official injustice and human resilience.

Incidentally, John Tuturro was one of these people that I met at the NIAF Convention that year in Washington, or was it a few years before? I don't remember now, but nevertheless, I met him there. It all ties in together somehow.

And speaking of "tying in," go see this movie and see how the story of these two Italians in America tied the whole world in, in a way that hadn't happened before and hasn't happened since.

Filippo

P.S. Here is the Trailer of Peter Miller's Documentary "Sacco and Vanzetti," as released by First Run Features, featuring the voices of John Tuturro and Tony Shalhoub. (In English)