Sunday, September 24, 2006

It's Show Time - John Cranford Adams Playhouse


Ciao a tutti,

I have to dedicate this whole post to the show. It never ceases to amaze me how much work goes into making a show. Of course I work hard and have been for years vocally, musically, etc., and that goes the same for the musical director, the musicians, the backup singers, etc., but it only begins there.

Having been part of the theater for many years I am well aware what goes on as far as preparations to mount a show, but it is always fun and fascinating for me to watch it all come alive. There was a team of people working their culo's off for a couple days to make the show the success that it was, and boy am I grateful.

From the lighting to the sound, from the staging to the props, from the front of the house, where all the tickets are sold, the posters and programs are designed, printed and distributed, etc., to the back of the house where everything is worked behind the scenes, the ushers, the videographer, etc., there is a lot to make happen. This is not to mention the work that also took place before the show was decided upon, negotiated, approved, contracted, sponsored, etc.

All this took place under the great direction of Director Bob Spiotto of Hofstra USA Productions. The show came off famously and went over wonderfully. The audience responded so well, not only while I was on stage but after I got off. They stayed and applauded until the band played its last note.

As far as I was concerned, I could have taken more encores but I had already gone over time by forty-five minutes and there were still CDs to sign and the Meet and Greet to go to which was thrown by Hofstra University as a thank you to one of the show's sponsors TIAA-CREF. They were a great group of people and a big thank you goes to them for helping make this happen.


The audience also loved my opening act Laura De Leon who really kicked off the show on a good note by reminding the audience of the American songs that the Italian- Americans used to listen to. The songs were from around the same era of the songs that I would then sing in English and Italian after intermission. It perfect compliment.

It was fun to hear the audience react to her stories and songs. Her demeanor was gentle and sincere which endeared her to the audience right away. But don't be fooled, Laura packs a mean song, and the audience got to enjoy that strong "Italian woman" side of her too.

The audience's reactions to the whole show kept on coming and while in Italy I received E-mail after E-mail. I was humbled by each and every kind word. One such E-mail really touched me. It was written by an influential member of the New York Italian-American Community to the Director of my show, and then forwarded to me. I would like to close with this particular E-mail because it really spoke to so much of what I am about. I include it here with my humble thanks to the author. It read as follows:


"Hello Bob,

It was a pleasure to finally meet you at the post performance reception for Filippo Voltaggio. I want to personally thank you for bringing such an electric performer to campus. I first became aware of the event from a placard in the Adams playhouse while there for the President's Convocation at the beginning of this semester. I made up my mind then that I would attend.

The show was nothing less than amazing. I expected sort of a loose-hanging concert performance, and what we got was a total integrated theater experience. The closest thing I can compare it to is the Broadway production of Jerzy Boys, which Susanna and I saw this summer. Filippo brought the audience through the widest range of emotions during his 1 hour 45 minutes on stage culminating with his singing Mama to his mother. I don't believe there was s dry eye in the house.

Presentations such as this are critically important to maintaining an Italian identity in this era when Western European ethnics are the forgotten backbone of our country. You and Hofstra do a great service to the Long Island and Greater NY metropolitan area Italian-American community by presenting performances such as we witnessed yesterday. There are few venues remaining that will mount such a positive show for our community.

Again please accept my thanks for a fabulous afternoon of entertainment. Also thank Filippo and his troupe for the kindness they showed us at the reception. It is quite rare for the average audience member to be able to meet and speak to the performers on a congenial one-to-one basis. Being a 20 year member of the Hofstra community, I can honestly say this event ranks up there as one of the best I have experienced over that time.

John

John F. Affisco, Ph.D.
Professor and Chairperson
Department of BCIS/QM
Frank G. Zarb School of Business
Hofstra University

Grazie John for your letter and for allowing me to use it here.

Con Affetto,

Filippo

P.S. Here is a "vintage" clip of one of Italy's most famous singers, Mina, singing a medley of three songs "Arrivederci," "Georgia on My Mind," and "Azzuro," in a 1968 live TV broadcast on RAI UNO ITALY. Mina is like the Barbra Streisand of Italy. She also acted as well. (Sung in Italian and English)

No comments: