Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Week in New England - My Kind of Place


Ciao a tutti,

While on the East coast, I had to spend as much time as I could visiting New England, some of my friends I have made here over the years, and meeting with people and visiting theaters for the next big show.

I don't know if you all know this but there are lots and lots of Italians out here, he, he. From Connecticut I went out to Massachusets, where I spent time in Boston, and Worcester. I have come to really like Worcester, MA, again, mainly because of the people. When I first went there to perform a few years ago, I felt like I was in Naples or something. The proceeds of that particular show were going to benefit Mt. Carmel Church, a church in the Italian Community near Shrewsbury St., a very, very Italian-American Street.

The director of the show, Joan D'Argenis, who not only ran my show but runs a lot of "shows" in that community, introduced me to the priest of the church, Fr. Baffaro. Within minutes of us meeting, he told Joan to cancel my appointments for the rest of the afternoon because I was going to be spending the afternoon with him. Before I knew it he whisked me off to Shrewsbury St. and asked me if I was hungry. Of course I said yes, and then he stopped in front of an auto body shop.

Well, I figured he had to make a stop to check up on some repairs or something, so I suggested I wait in the car. No, he insisted, "Lets go eat." I had no idea what he was talking about but I followed him into the garage. After the owners of the garage greeted us, they shuffled us into the back room where lunch was going to be served. I sat there with a group of men I soon learned held high positions in the city and we all had one of the best Italian lunches I had had in a long time. Where the food was coming from I don't know, but we sat there on folding chairs and a make shift table and talked for what seemed like hours as we enjoyed great food, great wine and great conversation.

From then on I realized that Worcester/Shrewsbury was my kind of place. I couldn't wait to go back again. Well, this trip out to Worcester was no different. This time, that special lunch was held at a little diner, appropriately called "Dinky's" outside a sand and gravel yard. Here is a picture if you think I am making this up, however, anyone from those parts, knows you can't make this stuff up.

Speaking of knowing you can't make this stuff up, while I was there I was invited to a WAKE, yes, I mean exactly that. It was a weird invitation but what to me was even more weird is that I said yes, and I went. But it got even more weird. Why? Well, because I didn't know the man who had passed away, but evidently he knew me, and there were lots of people at the wake who knew me too. I was a bit embarrassed even before getting into the room where the viewing was being held because fans/friends got a little loud and there were hugs and loud talking. I didn't want to be disrespectful so I quietly said that I was going to pay my respects and quickly walked away.

Well, little did I know what was going on in the viewing room. I tell you the only thing missing was me singing and people dancing the tarantella, because it seemed to be the social event of the year. People were laughing and talking loudly and the man was just lying two feet away from them. I had never seen a wake like that before on the West coast. Here people cry and wail and throw themselves on the casket. Now that is an Italian-American wake! What happened to the East coast? I am sure this will not be my last East coast wake, and I intend to learn more.

From there I went to Providence, RI. Again, there are a lot of Italians there too, he, he. What a great town, I have performed there before and made some friends there of course too but I didn't have much time to socialize unfortunately since I was on a schedule. Some of it was work like going to see the incredible Providence Performing Arts Center for a possible show there too. Some of it was just plain fun. One of my acquaintances owns Celine Dion's former yacht, Deeva, and I had to take the time to go to Newport, RI and spend sometime on it. At the top of the page is the picture of me yachting with the Deeva, need I say more?

Ciao for now,

Filippo

P.S. Here is an Italian Clip I think you will enjoy. For as long as Youtube has these clips available and as long as it is not an infringing of any copyright laws I will post them here.

This is a clip of Roberto Benigni in the movie "Attimo Fuggente" (Fleeting Moment) staring him and Robbie Williams, in which he is teaching his class of students and inspiring them on writing poetry. (In Italian w/o subtitiles)

No comments: