Friday, March 30, 2007

If It Looks Like We Have Fun - We Do!


Ciao a tutti,

This post is a fine example of the fun I am having with the Filippo and the Chef radio show, the blog, the interviews, the parties, performances, and with all my friends, new and long time friends, that get into the action.

I was invited to see a show by my friend Piotr Jandula, violist to the Los Angeles Opera, the LA Symphony, and studio musician for all the biggest Hollywood movies, not to mention all kinds of other engagements. Whenever he is performing in something or catches wind of something that might be of interest to me musically or for the show, he lets me know.

It is always a pleasure to hear him perform anyway, especially when he solos. The richness of the viola really comes out when he plays it. As a matter of fact, he plays on songs in both my CDs. Now you know.

In this case he was performing in the orchestra accompanying an artist Carlos De Antonis. I invited my friend, and now Producer of the Filippo and the Chef radio show, Laura De Leon, to come along for a relaxing evening of what Piotr told me would be an evening of good music and voice.

Laura and I had wonderful seats and after a busy week were ready to enjoy some music and leave the show to someone else. As the big 2000 plus seat UCLA Royce Hall Theater started to fill up, I thought to myself, who is this Carlos De Antonis, and how come I have never heard of him, but all these people have? I turned to the program for some answers where I soon discovered from his bio that he was half Italian.

ITALIAN?!!!!!!

Why didn't anybody tell me? I shouldn't just be sitting here enjoying this, I should be taking notes, I should be talking to people, I should be going to meet with him afterwards backstage and interviewing him and taking pictures with him. That's what I should be doing!

Immediately Laura and I stepped into action, like we put on our Superman and Wonder Woman costumes or something and the caper began. Only, we had left all of our handy gadgets necessary for such a call to duty in the "bat cave." I had no camera on me, no business cards, nothing. That's the last time that happens.

Still we were quick on the trail to meet the people in the know before the show started and make sure we had all our ducks in order to get backstage after the show and to be invited to the meet and greet reception afterwards, etc.

Just as we squared everything away, the show started. Whew! We sat there in pleasant surprise as this beautiful voice rang out from the stage through the theater and as this playful, costumed man flirted and played with the audience in his heavy accent. We had never seen anything like him before.

And just when we were getting used to the voice, the costume, the whole act, etc., he left the stage. We weren't sure what was going on, but the orchestra obviously did and they kept playing a pretty piece. When the piece was over we applauded and they started another one. Only this time, Carlos came out, this time in a very different costume, long and flowing that fanned out when he danced and spun on stage to an Argentine tango he sang in Spanish.

The audience roared and he had them all eating out of the palm of his hand. As a singer/entertainer myself, it was such a joy to watch it unfold. "More power to him," I thought. By now I really couldn't wait to interview him.
The best part for me though had not even happened yet. That was when he started singing Italian art songs. They touched me and I was sold. At that point he could have come out on stage wearing a tutu, and it wouldn't have mattered, he had me. In fact, he did leave the stage for two or three more costume changes, all more elegant and impressive than the one before.

We had actually met the costumer Gamila, before the show in our rush to make sure we were in touch with all the right people that could make this blog post and a future interview possible, by getting us backstage afterwards. Her work on his costumes was amazing, of course, come to find out she is a Hollywood film costumer and half Italian. As a matter of fact, I met her Italian mother after the show who is also a chef and used to cook for many famous celebrities, like Mick Jagger I think she said.

The show ended with a standing ovation that brought Carlos back twice to sing, and the third time to tell us that he was performing in Arizona that next day at a benefit with Ricky Martin and Diana Ross, among other people. The crowd applauded at that and got the point.

Now to the party. Laura finally secured our entry to the party because all the people that said they would get us in disappeared, and rightfully so since they were busy with the party. But once in, we got everything we were hoping to get, and more.

Carlos' friends and management team pulled cameras and people and Carlos together to get us the pictures we needed as well as treated us to some wonderful food and drinks.

When we were introduced to Carlos he hugged us like he had known us for years and was happy to see us again. Though I know he meant the warmth and attention just for us, I saw that he was just as warm and attentive to all his guests.

A great host indeed. I must say everyone rallied around him was doing him a great service, and justifiably so. I think they all think he is going to be having a big career, and I think they are right.

With their help, it seems eminent. It was even more eminent when I got to his manager's beautiful house in the Hollywood Hills in front of the Hollywood sign, where I found Carlos being filmed during a rehearsal. Our interview ended up being filmed as well for a documentary on his "rise to fame" I guess it would be. Well, I was there to see it, and thanks to this post and our interview, those of you who didn't know him before, know him now.

In closing this post, here are pictures of Carlos and I at the home of his manager Harlan Werner. We took the second one so you can see the Hollywood sign behind us, way up the mountain. Above these pictures is a picture of the costume designer Gamila, on the right, and a friend of Carlos who is also a fellow opera singer, mezzosoprano Inez Olabarria Smith, on the left.

Directly above that is the picture of Carlos and Laura De Leon.

Tune in to the show to hear Carlos tell us about his journey to Buenas Aires to study singing and his first big break. You will also hear about his new CD due to be released this Summer called "Carlos De Antonis - del cuore," meaning, from the heart. I chose to play a piece on the show however of a live recording of him singing "Core Ingrato," even though it was not on the CD, they let me have it to play because it was a song that my Father used to sing.

Grazie,

Filippo

P.S. This video clip is blatantly a commercial, but it does show the bar at Carlos De Antonis' after party. It was the coolest thing, and cool is definitely the right word. The after party was partly hosted by Belvedere Vodka. They erected this beautifully crafted and functioning bar from where they served martinis that was completely made of ice. You can see it here at the very event where we went. (Background song in English)