Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Isabella Rossellini, Sophia Milos,... - A Bevy of Beauties


Ciao a tutti,

The Italian Cultural Institute of Los Angeles invited me to interview, for our Filippo and the Chef Show, the actress, model,..., classically beautiful Isabella Rossellini at an event they held in her honor and in the honor of her late father, famed director Roberto Rossellini.

I was honored myself to have been asked and excited to met Ms. Rossellini. I have seen her act on TV and in the movies and seen her image in so many ads. Of course I had long known of her father's movies and was looking forward to hearing her speak about him. I knew that it was going to be great to be there and going to be quite a pleasure getting to meet and speak with her. Little what I didn't know was that the evening held in store for me a bevy of surprises, actually, a bevy of beauties and beautiful surprises.

Upon entering, I was greeted by il Signor Diego Brasioli, Consul General of Italy, who immediately brought me over to meet some of his guests. The first person he introduced to me was Alessandro Martorana. During his introduction what caught my attention was his choice of words. He said that he wanted to introduce us because we were both artists. With me it was obvious, he introduced me as a singer, but with Alessandro, he introduced him as an atelier.

Atelier used to just mean, in French, the workshop or studio where an artist created his work of art. It now also stands for the artist himself, and more specifically the designer of clothing, or in this case, contemporary men's tailored clothes. How sophisticated.

Of course, if any of you know Mr. Brasioli, you know him to be quite distinguished himself, as was Alessandro, quite charming and humble, I might add. Here is a man who designs clothes for some of the wealthiest and most prominent men in the world, with studios, or should I say ateliers, around the world, from Turin to New York, Hong Kong to Japan, and making his clients look like the million bucks that they are worth. We are pictured here with actress Dina Morrone.

Speaking of looking like a million bucks, while we were chatting, up comes an beautiful young lady and takes Alessandro by the arm. Maybe she took his arm and not mine because I was holding a camera on one hand and a computer on the other for my interview with Isabella later, he, he. As she approached us, Alessandro said, "And this is...," expecting him to tell me who she was. Instead, he continued with, "...one of my designs." I couldn't help but laugh out loud, I found the situation so funny.

That ended up endearing me to our "guest" visitor since I was just laughing open heartily without holding back. But what really took the cake is after much jesting, laughing, and carrying on amongst us, I asked her, quite irreverently, since we had been acting familiarly to each other, who the heck she was, in Italian. By then a crowd had gathered around us and everyone started laughing, as did she, because it seems that I was the only one who didn't know.

In my defense, I know CSI Miami is one of the most popular shows in the world right now, especially in the States, but I hadn't gotten around to watching it yet. But let me tell you, I sure did after that night.

Of course we are talking about the very beautiful, and now I can say, personable Sophia Milos of CSI Miami. I think this is a great picture of her, but if you want to see some others, click on her name and go to her official website. Get to know her, I hope to. In fact, when she asked me who I was, and Diego told her, thank you Diego, she asked why I hadn't interviewed her yet. You bet your sweet bippy I am going to, next time I catch her in town. Above we are pictured together, Sophia, Alessandro and I.

By this time I was so engaged that I almost forgot the reason why I had gone to this event in the first place. I did get to finally meet Isabella Rossellini and was impressed with her control over everything that was going on that night. I guess you have to be when you do as much as she does. She's an actress, model, spokesperson, author, mother, and the list goes on.

I really liked how she spoke so wonderfully about her father Roberto Rossellini, the late, great Italian film director. And by the way, you all do know who her mother was, no? If not, she was none other than the late, famed actress Ingrid Bergman. Above we are pictured with Francesca Valente the Director of the Italian Cultural Institute.

But the evening that started out to be just about her, which was already a dream in itself, was just getting started. The crowd went nuts a few minutes afterwards when they noticed Milena Canonero walk in. Now her I knew because I had seen her getting her Oscar for Best Costume Design this year for the movie "Marie Antoinette," a week or so before.


Meeting her was great. She is such a real person. You all got that when you heard her say "Well, I'm very happy to be here but it's also very frightening to be here, so in one way I wanted to get this doll [pats the Oscar] and another I was frightened. But thank you so, thank you very, very much," during her acceptance speech.

Well, that's her. As a matter of fact, after chatting with her for awhile, and asking her if she would be on my show, to which she replied yes, I asked her for a picture. She gave me these really sweet eyes as if to say, "do we have to?" I was not quick enough to get her meaning. I could tell she had been through a lot of paparazzi after the Oscars, and she started to put down her purse and everything so we could take a picture.


I thought this was really gracious considering she didn't feel up to it. Then when I finally caught on that she really would rather not, I said to her, "no really, we don't have to," in Italian of course, and I meant it. She then gave me another face that told me, I'll do this for you, and I can't tell you what that meant.

After we took the picture she said to me, almost in a whisper, as if to say, "I know you'll understand this," she said, "odio le foto," which means, "I hate pictures." I thought about not posting the picture afterall out of respect for her, but then I thought, she allowed me to take it out of respect to me, so not using it would be wrong.

And the whole evening was like that, meeting nice people after nice people. Like a friend of mine, entertainment attorney Claire Ambrosio, took me up to this next gentleman, Emmy Award winning correspondent for CBS's "48 Hours," Bill Lagattuta, saying that I should meet him and that I should interview him for my show.

One look at me and Bill says, I know him, he's the Italian Singing Chef. Well, he was sort of right, the show is "Filippo AND the Chef," but people keep thinking I'm the chef. But I was flattered none the less that he knew me and that he remembered me after meeting each other a year or so ago at a NIAF Media dinner. This is Claire and he in this picture.

I do want to have him on my show and he hads agreed, I can't wait. This man has done so much reporting that he could keep you engaged for hours just recounting his stories. Better yet, he has acquired so much knowledge and experience that he really has a grasp on things as they are and his perspectives are amazing.

I got this from just sitting at a dinner table with him a few hours and just listening to his discourse. I am sure he will have lots to share when we finally get an interview with him for the show, stay tuned. Here he is pictured with his lovely wife.
I could go on and on and maybe I will, just a little more. This, for example, is what I mean by a bevy of beauties, and what could be wrong with that. Here is actress Dina Morrone, Sophia Milos, and Julie Quinn, the beautiful wife of Francesco Quinn, yes, the late, great Anthony Quinn's son.








I had to steal a picture with just her and I as well, can you blame me? Francesco was there too, but funny, I didn't think to have a picture taken with him. Next time I see him, I will. I actually don't know why we didn't do it this time.

While the party was still going on, a few friends and I stole away to the library of the Institute where no one was gathered and had a party of our own. It didn't dawn on me till afterwards that there were three women and I. The odds were good for some good stories to come out.

And they did, but darn my professionalism, I can't share any of them, he, he. I made sure I even got permission to print these photos. Why? Well, take Susan Del Prete for example, sitting on the couch with Claire and I. She sells big, luscious, expensive homes to the big, luscious, expensive stars. Don't you think she has stories? She actually didn't share anything out of school, but still.

Then there is Angela Zonni, you ladies might recognize her from the Home Shopping Network. Actually, she holds a higher position than TV celeb at the Italian Trade Commission, but most of you would know her because she promotes the 18K Italian Gold Jewelry. I know many of you were watching and buying away.

So, this first picture was a given to post, but the second one? I had to ask her permission and she said go ahead, no problem. She asked me if I remember what the reason was that she got on the floor to begin with. I told her I didn't remember and I wouldn't tell if I did. She asked me if she was drunk when it happened. I said, definitely not drunk, but we all were having a great time.

And that's Italian!

Oh wait Angela, I do remember now, that is the position from which you took the picture of us on the couch, and I snapped one of you when you gave me the camera back before you got up!

Filippo

P.S. I think to complete the picture of beautiful Italian women tonight, I wanted to add one who has a voice to match. In fact, I think she has one of the most beautiful pop voices in the world right now. There are so many interesting stories about her but I am going to let her tell her story with her voice and the brief interview at the beginning of the video where she talks about Italy. If you don't know her, you should, her name is Laura Fabian and she is French Canadian born to a father who is Belgian and a mother who is Italian. Here is a video I found of her on Youtube.com singing "Caruso." (In English and Italian)