Monday, June 18, 2007

Robert Davi and "The Dukes" - Sounds Like a Doo Wop Group to Me


Ciao a tutti,

I think I mentioned a couple posts ago that Robert Davi invited me a to a private screening of his new movie, not released yet. Well, this past week, I went. The movie was "The Dukes," hence the title of this post. And regarding the Doo Wop comment, that is a hint, but I can't say anymore than that.

The move stars Chaz Palminteri, Peter Bogdanovich and Robert Davi, of course. The movie is produced by Robert and is in fact his directorial debut.

Though I have been sworn to secrecy, I can tell you this, he did a great job and I am sure there will be many more movies coming out directed by him.

Being new at this Hollywood inside stuff I really don't know what I can or can't tell you because the film was in the process of getting distribution at the time of this posting. But I believe I am safe in saying that I enjoyed the film, I laughed at parts, was touched at parts,... and look forward to seeing it again on the big screen when it premiers. Maybe then I can tell you more.

In the meantime, the screening was fun and I went with Chef Richard, my co-host on the Filippo and the Chef Show at www.FilippoandtheChef.com. Chef Richard came bearing gifts. What kind of gifts? Guess.

He brought his famous eggplant Parmesan and vino for some special guests. Now I am sure that this has never happened at a Hollywood screening before, but I bet you, it will happen again, at least when Richard gets invited.

Of course he and the Eggplant were a hit. And it was perfect too because there was a scene in the movie where the actors were eating Italian food, and you could smell Richard's eggplant wafting in the air as if you were there. Oops, was I not supposed to talk about the eating scene?



Yow know that the invention of the recreation of sound effects for a movie in a studio is credited to a man named Jack Foley, and that to this day the artist who makes those sounds is called a Foley Artist.

Well, someday when the smell is recreated in a studio for a movie for the audience to enjoy in the theater, it will be called Lombardi thanks to Chef Richard Lombardi and this one incident. From now on that artist who will make the smells that go with the movies will be called a Lombardi Artist.

Okay, back to the screening. So who got the prized Eggplant? Well, Robert Davi of course got one, his movie's Producer and Editor, Jim Cypherd at Sun Lion Films another, and Kelsey Grammer, of the "Cheers" and "Frasier" fame who has an Italian wife by the way got one, as did actor Elya Baskin.

There's never a dull moment with Richard around I have to tell you. At any rate, it was a lot of fun and I wish Robert and the movie the best.

In the first picture above you see me with Robert Davi and his Producer and Editor Jim Cypherd. Below that is Kelsey Grammer and I. Then there is Peter Bogdanovich with Richard and I below that.

The rest of the picture speak for themselves except this last one of Italian-American Producer TJ Mancini owner of Crossroads Entertainment, Inc.

I wish you all go see the movie,

Filippo

P.S. This is a trailer of "The Dukes" as posted on Youtube.com, enjoy. (In English)

No comments: