Sunday, June 24, 2007

"The Value of Names" - This One Hit Home


Ciao a tutti,

In this post we are going to do something a little different. Since I started this post almost a year ago, I have been writing it all on my own. For the first time, I am going to include a review written by a friend of mine that was written exclusively for this blog.

This is how and what went down. My friend, actress Jodi London, was in town from Chicago to meet with Gary Marshall and see the play he produced, "The Value of Names," at his theater, The Falcon Theater.

While there, she met with Gary in regard to her film, which I will be featured in by the way, and I got to meet and talk with him as well about being on our show "Filippo and the Chef," to which he said, absolutely yes, yeah!

Before I go on, I have to say about the film that Jodi wrote and is going to star in, that has a working title of "Run While You Can." I just want to say that I believe that there is a love scene in the movie between her and I, but she doesn't believe so. I could swear there is, since I read the script. Since she wrote the script she is sure there isn't.

Well, one thing I know for sure, I will be a romantic interest but I cannot say anymore than that. Of course, after reading this, she may write me out of the script completely, he, he.

Okay, so Gary was great, really great and a lotta fun. He reminded me of my Uncle, as a matter of fact, he could be my Uncle. You all know he is Italian-American, right? Yeah, I think the name was actually Marsciarelli or something like that. You also know who he is, right? He's an actor, the producer of "Laverne and Shirley," etc.

So this play, "The Value of Names," hits home, let me tell you. It was based on a Jewish family but it could have been Italian. And speaking of Italian, so there we were minding our own business (right), when who should appear but the producer and creator of one of the most Italian shows on television, "Everybody Loves Raymond," Phil Rosenthal.

Talk about the Jewish play could have been Italian, when I finally spoke to Phil that is what he said, Raymond's story is his story, Raymond's mother is his mother, same thing.

Actually, I first recognized Monica Horan, who played the character Amy in "Everybody Loves Raymond." While I was speaking to her I had to tell her about the episode I like the best, in fact, I am most passionate about it, the one that takes place in Italy.

She stopped me mid-sentence and told me to tell her husband this story. And I said, "why, who's your husband? " Just like that. She said, he's Phil Rosenthal the producer and creator of the show.


I must have turned a shade of red, but there was no time for that, I had to tell him just how much I related to a couple of really poignant scenes in that one-hour special episode.

Some of the scenes in particular touched me in ways which maybe I will share with you all someday. But when I was describing one in particular to Phil, I detected a hint of watery eyes in him and the same happened to me as we connected on this story.



When I finished he told me that, that very scene was his favorite as well and how he spent four weeks on that scene. He shared what he did to create it and what he wanted people to feel. And when he finished, for a moment we were quiet.

I then opened up my arms and we hugged for a good long moment and we thanked each other and then we joined the party in the lobby again.
Even though they had different seats than us, we all ended up sitting together to watch the play.

After the play, Chef Richard came to join us since he had to see me to get something signed or something and he ended up joining in the fun.

Have I said too much? I think I should get to the critique that Jodi wrote now. Let me just splain the pictures you see. The first is of course Gary Mashall with Jodi London and I. Then come the Rosenthal's, Phil and Monica, who also goes by her stage name of Monica Horan.

Then you see Jack Klugman, of "The Odd Couple." Meeting him too was a treat

after seeing him on TV while growing up. He is such a great stage actor too, who knew? And then there I am pictured with the fine actress of the play, Liz Lasen.

And finally, the other leading actor of the play that night and fellow Italian-American, Dan Lauria, who you see pictured here with Richard, of the "Filippo and the Chef" show, and I.

You know Dan from so many things, but most of you would remember him in "The Wonder Years." When the two of them, Dan and Jack, were rumbling on stage, the whole theater shook. What power houses of theater.

There I go, giving a critique when I was going to do something different and let Jodi do the critiquing. So I will sign off now and thank Jodi for a wonderful evening together and for writing this critique for my blog.

Filippo

"The Falcon Theatre, Burbank, CA: 'The Value of Names' starring Jack Klugman, Dan Lauria, and Liz Larsen. . Bravo to these three actors who delivered a very convincing and entertaining performance! Jack Klugman carried the play with his cynical opposites while his genuine love for his daughter reigned through.


Liz Larsen responded with perfect comedic timing to bring a smile to anyone that has experienced the father-daughter relationship. The struggle to rekindle a long lost friendship is felt heart-deep when Dan Lauria entered the stage. Throughout the evening, the audience bounced between laughter and tears as the characters’ emotions and the storyline unfolded before our eyes. The well written script, the choice of the actors and the warmth of the Falcon theatre where every seat has an excellent view of the stage made my experience a night to cherish!"

-Jodi London

P.S. Since I had the wonderful opportunity to hear Phil Rosenthal describe to me how he created a particular scene for the hit TV series "Everybody Loves Raymond," I thought you all would enjoy an opportunity to hear it from him directly. In this scene I got from Youtube.com Phil and Ray Romano are together on a show called "You're Lucky You're Funny." In this particular clip Phil is describing what the inspiration was for the "Fruit of the month" bit used in one of the episodes. (In English)

No comments: