Tuesday, August 28, 2007

All In A Days Work - Still Working On It (Part 1)


Ciao a tutti,

I intellectually know that my life is different than most people's but to be honest, it is still all new to me. Things don't go the way I was used to them going when I was working in the corporate world of IBM, for example.

For instance, last week we were in a meeting with Kassi Crews, Vice President of Digital Jungle, a post production house in Hollywood discussing the television version of the "Filippo and the Chef" show. When who comes to see her, but Norman Seeff.

Though many of you might not recognize his name, you would definitely recognize his work, guaranteed. If you saw the images that have defined our celebrities over the years, the images were shot by Norman Seeff. Say Ray Charles, Cher, Etta James, Frank Zappa, George Burns, Hugh Heffner, Mick Jager,... the list goes on.

All these people, and hundreds more have not only been photographed by Norman, but it is those photos that have been used to define them and we know these people best by the photos that Norman shot.

He not only has photographed celebrities and well known persons, but has shot for bands and album covers, and major companies, and directed for commercials, books, and is in the process of releasing two feature documentaries "Triumph of the Dream" and "The Sessions Project" this year. That's who was meeting with Kassi after we were.

Upon finishing our meeting, Kassi introduced us all, and me being the consummate blogger asked if we could have a picture all together, and with everyone's consensus here is the picture. The interesting thing is that in the meeting with Kassi were Chef Richard, Mike Spitler, one of our producers, and myself.

After the picture was taken Mike jokingly complained that he didn't get to be in the shot. But what I find funny is that Norman, who has photographed hundreds of famous people and who rarely gets photographed himself, was photographed by Mike. Now I don't think I have to convince him of how important that is.

In the picture at the top is Norman next to me and Kassi next to Chef Richard. Thank you Norman for agreeing to be photographed and posted on my blog and Kassi for introducing us.

That's what I mean. This never would have happened at IBM, and rarely happens anywhere except in Hollywood. Below the picture of us are a few of the Italian-Americans Norman has photographed, the first two are of Frank Zappa, including the cover of his album.

After that is of course is Alan Alda. And the one below him is the photo Norman took for the cover of one of the Aerosmith album covers. And in case you didn't know, Steve Tyler of Aerosmith is Italian-American.

See what I mean, this never happened to me before. I look forward to it happening again and again, because to tell the truth, if this is "all in a days work," I'm still working on it, but I can get used to it.

Stay tuned for Part Two.

Filippo

P.S. Since Cher was married to, and made her career together with, one of the best known and loved Italian-Americans in the world, Sonny Bono, I felt that it was enough of an Italian connection to include here here in this post. The reason for the inclusion is that Norman Seeff photographed her for the cover of this album and this gives me an opportunity to honor him, her and Sonny. Maybe next time I will find something on Sonny and include him. After all, I remember meeting his parents when I was a child, but that's another story. Here is a video of Cher's "Knock on Wood," with pictures by Norman as found on Youtube.com. (In English).

No comments: