Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Christmas - Buon Natale

Ciao a tutti,

"It's the most wonderful time of the year," to borrow a phrase from a favorite Christmas song. Since my last post, the parties, the cards, the E-mails..., and the fun keep coming and I am enjoying every minute of it.

Before I post some highlights for the week, I just had to post this card that I got last year from an artist fan in New York, Tony Mancino. I am not in the habit of saving Christmas cards but for the past couple years Tony has created these clever cards and has sent them to me at Christmas from him and his wife Grace.

This year's hasn't arrived yet, and I couldn't find the one from the year before, even though I am sure I kept it. So, above is last years card which I thought you would enjoy, and which he dedicated to our show Filippo and the Chef. At the New York concert this year he presented me with an amazing sketch he had done of me. That makes three artists so far that have been inspired to draw or paint me, not including the guy at the wharf in Monterey who does caricatures.

Actually, no joke, when I danced the tarantella as part of a dance troupe growing up, I did have a caricature artist approach me and ask me if he could draw me in my Sicilian costume. I don't remember if he gave us the drawing or not. I will have to ask my Mamma. If she still has it, maybe I will post up along with all the different artists' renderings of "Filippo," then again, maybe not.
Back to Christmas, every year one of the most impressive Christmas parties that I have ever been to is hosted by Mr. and Mrs. Harold Davidson. You may remember Nadine Nardi Davidson from one of our past shows "Penne With Vodka Sauce," wherein I interviewed her about her book "How to Travel With Others Without Wishing They'd Stayed Home."

Every year, this party is quite the event of the year held at their beautiful estate home in Brentwood, and I am fortunate to be on the yearly guest list. This is a picture of Harold, Nadine and I.

I don't know about you but I still get a kick out of attending parties at grand estates with valets that park your car, security guards at the door who check the list for your name, when you walk in you are greeted with cocktails and hors d'oeuvre, and someone to check your coat, three bands playing throughout the house and backyard, which by the way is tented and carpeted with crystal chandlers and tables and tables with amazing flowered centerpieces, four food station with food from four Countries of the world, and several bars throughout the property.

I of course also enjoy the people all dressed up to the nines and dancing with the ladies. It has been fun too getting to know people and catching up with them over the years, like Robert Jacobson of Banana Bread Records pictured here with his girlfriend Dorit.

Besides being a producer, Robert is quite the accomplished and recorded guitarist. He and I have a runnnig conversation every year. Though he's not Italian, he travels back to Florida to see his family often, and on occasion will find himself there during the Italian Festival in his home town. He enjoys going to the festival but is bound and determined that I will sing at that festival one of these years. And so the conversation starts with, "Have they booked you for the festival this year?"

Here is another such acquaintance I have had the pleasure and get to know over the years through the Davidsons. She is Karen Leigh Hopkins, Actress, Director, Writer, Producer, and an all around talented person pictured here with me.

It has been great to hear about all her projects through the years and to learn that her latest project as a film writer is about to be released this February 2nd "Because I Said So," starring Diane Keaton and Mandy Moore. The movie sounds fun and I can't wait to see it. As we Italians say "In Bocca A Lupo," which is the equivalent of "Break-a-leg!"

At this years party I was also happy to see and meet for the first time, none other than one of KFI's nationally syndicated, most stimulating talk show hosts, Bill Handle himself.

Just like he sounds on radio, the few minutes we spoke with each other, he proved to be everything you would expect him to be, energetic, highly entertaining, intelligent, oh and yes, you always knew where he stood on everything you spoke about because he made his opinion known.



It was a pleasure meeting such a highly successful and respected veteran of radio and heart warming to get his words of encouragement for my radio show.

Above he and I are pictured together and then I just had to have a picture with Marge, his wife. If you have ever heard the show, this is the lady he always mentions. Thanks Marge for indulging us both.

Here's a lady I don't get to see enough of but thanks to this party I got to see my friend Tina Maron. She just finished refurbishing her totally Italian kitchen in her home in Palos Verdes complete with steam oven and all kinds of great accessories. We tentatively have a date to cook together in her kitchen, and I can't wait. If she lets me take pictures in her kitchen I will make sure to follow up, it is supposed to be amazing.

From this great party I ended up going to two other ones in the same night. Though there were lots of Italian connections to be had and many I would like to write about, I think I am going to stop right here and get ready to take some time off and celebrate the Holiday with my family.

There is this last picture I wanted to post though, I promised people that saw my hat at various parties that I would post a picture of me with "The Hat," on my blog. It is definately an Italian Santa Hat. Italians are known to talk with their hands going all over the place, well, this hat followed suit and was all over the place.

What better picture to use than this one where we caught it in mind movement as it was going from one side to the other. My Italian Santa Hat and I are happily pictured here with Graphic Designer and Illustrator Helga Taylor and Music Engineer and Producer Arnie Geher. Incidentally, Arnie has worked with some of the world's top bands, singers and musicians. I am sure I will be writing more about him soon.

But in the meantime, a "Buon Natale to all and to all a Buona Notte!"

Filippo

P.S. In case you haven't picked up on it, there was a strong Italian and Jewish connection on this post and hence, I thought it would be appropriate to include this song which is one of the world's most loved American Christmas songs "White Christmas," written by one of the world's most beloved Jewish songwriter, Irving Berlin, and sung by one of the world's most beloved Italian singer, Mina, in Italian. (In Italian)

No comments: