Friday, February 09, 2007

Italian Talent of Another Kind - Cathie Russo


Ciao a tutti,

It is interesting to me how in this Country when we talk of Italian-American entertainment we immediately assume accordions and "Volare." And I am not putting that down at all because that is what I often do myself, and I enjoy hearing it and seeing it performed. If not that, then we think of Frank and Dean and the songs of the '40's and '50's etc.

I never really stopped to think about it until recently, that these artists weren't singing "Italian-American" music, but the music of that era. They just happened to be Italian-Americans themselves and did it in their own style and fantastic ways. It seems that in so many ways, we have stopped the clock on Italian music here in this Country and the funny thing is I'm not the only one that thinks so, so do all the Italians from Italy I have ever spoken too about this.

I finally just got it recently during a radio interview when I was asked if I agreed to the "put downs" of the music of today that the host was saying. I couldn't agree or condone putting the music of today down because much of it isn't intended for me, just like the music I sing wasn't intended for the my grandparents, lets say, who might have thought Frank and Dean couldn't sing because they didn't sing classically or operatically.

I know that I like many styles of music and some of that includes music of today. I only sing in a few of those styles and that is the way I like it. I also know that there are many people who like what I do and I thank them and God for it. Lets continue to enjoy what we can offer each other. That, in a nut shell was my answer over live radio.

Interesting how soon after this revelation I was asked by a friend if I would go see her cousin sing and blog about her as a favor. This friend asked me to be kind since it isn't
"my kind of music," and that her cousin really didn't do the Italian-American stuff.

Imagine my surprise when I went to hear this singer and she sang rock and used profanity, sang about drugs and.... Well, do you know what I thought? I loved it. What I saw was a true Italian-American artist who sang the music of her day, as a matter of fact, she wrote it, better still, and who wasn't afraid to speak her mind about the world she saw and how she saw it. Even better still the songs were thought provoking and the melodies were memorable. I think she has a great thing going and when she finds her market, or her market finds her, she can be a name we can all say, you heard about here first.

The surprises keep coming. I bought her CD, even though she wanted to gift me one, because I wanted to encourage and support her efforts, and I played it in the car on the way home. The songs weren't all profane or about drugs or all very rock, some were almost jazzy with genuine scatting and a little bit of folk and funk. As a matter of fact, she had some interesting things she did with her voice that made the whole collection eclectic and definitely notable.

I do have one complaint though. Believe it or not, I found the CD too short. Yes, though it technically is "not my style of music," I liked the realness and rawness and sincerity and melody of the songs so much that I listened to the whole CD three times between the venue where she performed and my home.

For those of you who might like "this kind of music," or for those of you who want to venture out and try something very different, or for those of you who want to support a young Italian-American singer/songwriter you can go to her CD Baby page and buy "Cathie Russo - four tide of the clearview."

You can also learn more about her at her MySpace Page by clicking here.

Brava Cathie, I looking forward to catching your show again when you are in town.

Filippo

P.S. Speaking of young Italian-Americans doing their thing, here is a video of some young Italian-Americans using todays technology to "advertise" their new Italian-American club. I really liked how the group is open to everyone, Italian-American or not, as long as they are interested in the culture. And best of all, he's playing an accordion, now THAT's Italian, he, he.
(In English)

No comments: