Thursday, February 22, 2007

Three Cheers For - The Three Paisans


Ciao tutti,

What can I say about my own show? Well, actually, it wasn't just my show so I guess I can say lots. It was a great show, I mean really, what can I say? I can say this, I had a lot of fun and so did the audience. First of all it was a sold out crowd and it was so funny. It was held at the Catalina Jazz Club which is a traditional Jazz Supper Club, very high end, in other words, not cheap, and they do things a certain way, and they get a wealthy clientele... you get the picture.

Well, the night of The Three Paisans, the place magically turned into a classy Las Vegas club of the '50's or something, reminiscent of an evening where Frank, Dean and Sammy would appear. And it is not just me that is saying that, the audience said that, and better yet, the Catalina management said the same thing.

So many "paisans" came out to see three of their own and to have a nice evening out, and they were ready to party and have some fun. The audience started coming in, in their furs and Italian suits, and you knew this was going to be a grand affair. Minutes before we were due to go on stage, the manager came to us in the green room and said that we couldn't start yet because they were behind in serving the food.

He went on to say that in the years that he has managed the place he had never seen anything like this. He said, "No one is sitting down to order, everyone is walking around talking to everyone else and hugging and kissing and no one is ordering." We had to laugh and we knew we were in the right place and we knew our audience was too. These we Italians! Gotta love it! We have a flair, don't we?

We didn't start till almost an hour afterwards and the timing couldn't have been better, not just the timing on when we started, but the timing of the three of us on stage. To say we had fun is an understatement. We all knew each other and we knew each others' work, but we had never been all three on the same stage at the same time "doin' tings togeda, you know what I mean?" And to watch it unfold was a blast for us.

From the reaction of the audience during the show, the standing ovation, and them hanging around afterwards not wanting to leave, I would say it was a party that has to be repeated.

Oh, and do I have to splain that everyone had a comment or suggestion to make. "You shudda done this song," "You shudda said this...." "Next time tell this joke..." We knew we had been successful in inviting the audience to have a good time with us when they felt so part of our family that they felt like they should tell us what to do.

Then again, when I tink about it, the audience was full of actors, directors, producers, agents, and all of them Italian, except Debbie Gibson, you remember her, well hold on cause she's making a comeback. Anyway, back to my story, they were all from Hollywood and all of them were our friends, so what would you expect? On the contrary, it couldn't have been better, except maybe us having had a second show. But we got those offers too, so I am sure I'll be writing more about that in the future.

Before the night was over Frankie opened up his restaurant, "Frakies on Melrose" for us so we could have a drink and celebrate together. Since I was on stage most of the time, I didn't take too many pictures, you know what I mean? But afterwards I took these of Joey Mike and I with a few friends, like Frankie's lovely daughters.

There, have I said too much? You just had to be there! And maybe you will be, who knows, "The Three Paisans" might just be coming to a theater near you.

Filippo


P.S. Here is a video I thought you all would enjoy. It is of the "Rat Pack," with Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, and Sammy Davis Jr. with Dean's background vocals to the song "Ain't That a Kick In The Head." Now, Joey and I sang that, but those of you who were there know we changed the words a little bit. And by the way, contrary to popular belief, Frank, Dean and Sammy were not the original rat packers, there was another group before them called that. Anybody know who? In the words of Mike Marino, "I could tell you, but I don't want to be a snitch." (Background Song in English)

No comments: