Sunday, January 28, 2007

Alessandra Belloni's Tarantella - Alla Braziliana


Ciao a tutti,

Last night I had the pleasure of not only getting to see Alessandra Belloni again, but catching one of her shows. It is so interesting about Alessandra, every time I have seen her, she has never had the same show twice.

And I don't mean like she changes an element of the show or rearranges something, I mean, almost the complete show is different. But whether she has different musicians, or different dancers or different staging, etc., you are always aroused by her drumming and rhythmic frenzy.

This time she appeared at the Remo Center in North Hollywood. By the way Remo is world renowned for their unique drum skins invented by founder Remo Belli, an Italian with a great story himself. I hope to interview him for you all someday.

But back to Alessandra, this time she appeared with a large band and an amazing dance troupe. That is Alessandra with the Brazilian troupe after the show above, in the light blue shawl around her wais
t.



The show was ab
out blending the the Italian Healing Rituals for the Black Madonna and the Tarantella with the BRAZILIAN RHTHYMS and DANCES OF THE ORIXAS, and boy was it. Right in the middle of her set out came these authentically dressed Brazilian dancers and singers doing a type of pilgrimage walk in rhythm while carrying an image of the Black Madonna.

I was so impressed in seeing this kind of thing in the States, all the way from Brazil, that I took out my camera and started taking pictures. Of course, I didn't want to disturb too much so I didn't use the flash. Well, guess what? Yup, they didn't come out so great. Besides, at one point the dancers were dancing so fast that the pictures came out blurry, and I have a pretty good camera too. That's how exciting the music was.

Above is a picture of Alessandra, the Brazilian troupe, a solo dancer, a musician and me.



By the way, I have been ask
ed before from people who didn't know, what the Black Madonna was, and if it was a Satanist Saint. Absolutely not, nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, it is a Madonna that is worshiped all over Italy from the North to the South, I know that she is also the Patron Saint of Poland, and of course, we know now how revered she is in Brazil.

You can see an image of her behind us in the pictures above. Otherwise, I posted the above rendering of her, in a statue with the Baby Jesus, as found in a church in Oropa, Italy that I liked of all the renderings I researched for this post.

I understand Alessandra will be back in the Spring and I can't wait to see what kind of novelties she brings with her this time. Actually, I got a preview of what is coming along with a release of a new book of hers and I can't wait to tell you about it once I get my hands on it, and the accompanying DVD. Now, I think I have given too much away, he, he.

Afterwards I got to spend sometime talking with the musicians, the dancers and of course Alessandra.

Above I am pictured with one of the guitar players and fellow Italian-American Gregory Dormani and here with drummer Jerry Zacarias and musician Allynne.

Oh, and by the way, what do Italian entertainers do after a show? Why the answer is clear, isn't it? We go to an Italian restaurant for some soul food!

Buona Cena (To a Good Dinner),

Filippo

P.S. I thought in keeping with the theme of the Black Madonna and the Italian and Brazilian connection, since I showed an image of her from Italy above, I thought it only fitting to show a video of one of the churches dedicated to her, the Black Madonna, in Brazil. (Silent Video)






No comments: