Saturday, January 13, 2007

Yoga means "Play" - In Sicilian


Ciao a tutti,

The pronunciation of the word "Yoga" sounds just like the pronunciation of the word "Ioga" which is a Sicilian word for "Play." In Sicilian when someone says someone is "playing," you say, "Yoga!"

And how appropriate since that is exactly what we were doing, yoga and ioga, with some new Italian-American friends. My friend Laura De Leon, who you might remember as the singer in the Long Island show a couple months ago, takes yoga seriously and studies with the best in between her recording sessions for her new CD, and everything else she is doing.

Wouldn't you know it, two of her favorite yoga instructors are Italian-American. They are Venetia and Gianna Carotenuto, sisters no less, and what a driving force they are. Italian and sisters, need I say more! That is Venetia to my right and Gianna to my left in the photo above.

Laura was kind enough to invite me to a private yoga class knowing the two Italian-American yogis and I would hit it off, and she was right.

It actually wasn't just a "Yoga" class but a "Ioga" class, and that's why it was private since this was more of a ceremonial get-together closing this particular studio and a send off to the two beloved teachers as they move on to another space.

Now that I know Italian-Americans in the Yoga field, I guess I can officially say that Italian-Americans are everywhere doing everything, and doing it very well at that. It was quite obvious by the esteem that the students had for these two that they not only are good at what they do but they put their heart into it, a Neopolitan heart, at that.

As a matter of fact their family heralds from one of the most beautiful islands in the world, the Island of Capri! Their family must have brought their spirit with them from the island, because their beautiful spirit shown through in their work. Of course they have been to Capri and visit as often as they can.

But back to the Yoga, speaking of bring spirit from Italy, they brought to this gathering ancient sacred ceremonies, drumming, chanting, yoga positions and dance, laughter and a whole lot of fun in celebration. Who knew Yoga could be so fun.

I can't wait to see where these ladies head from here so I can attend a class and benefit from all they bring to the discipline. My Italian-American hat is off to them.

In the meantime, here are a few pictures of the Italian-American yogis, all of us! Starting with a picture of the ladies and I and ending with a picture of the Lady Leon and I, which is what she has also been known as throughout her singing and acting career.

The whole evening was quite an ex- perience. You know, if pasta really came from China, which I don't believe, then Italians perfected it. And now after tonight, if yoga came from India, am I to deduce that Italians perfected that too? He, he.

Enjoy and don't forget to "Yoga," and or "Ioga!"


Filippo

P.S. I couldn't resist putting up a video for all of us to enjoy of the beautiful island of Capri since I thought it would be so apropos and enjoyable to watch. This is a slide show presentation with an American song soundtrack. I can't wait to go back! (In English and Italian)



No comments: