Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Mixing it Up With New Jersey's Bad Boy - Mike Marino


Ciao a tutti,

Well, Mike Marino did it again. Every once in awhile Mike brings a special group of people together that have the distinction of having three things in common, at least. They are all in the Entertainment Industry, they all have the desire and willingness to share their knowledge and they all are Mike's friends, or want to be.

I was happy to be included in this group, and though not everyone can always make it, it certainly is fun mixing with the ones that do. And in so doing, a lot of great projects have come out of these mixers and many more are in the works.

One of the beauties of the evening is to see people at varying stages of their careers, from multi-award winners, like Emmys and Grammys etc., to newbies in the Industry mixing it up, having fun, making connections, and learning and sharing.

Just like in the movies, and oh so very Italian, Mike brings everyone together in the back room of an Italian restaurant, Sebastian's, where Sebastian, the owner himself gets in on the action and fun. Above you see Mike and I pictured with two of the Industry awarded veterans. You all remember Shabba-Doo as the star of such movies as "Breakin'," "Breaking 2: Electric Boogaloo," "Lambada," "Xanadu," or as Madonna's choreographer on several of her tours.

I included one of his videos clips below just for fun, when he appeared on the Steve Allen show many years ago. Shabba-Doo is a really fun guy, not to mention funny. Next to Mike is Steve Howell, multi-Emmy award winning Director and now also an expert in helicopter aerial film production. You have most definitely seen some of his aerial shots in various shows and films.

I thought these next guys were Italian for sure. Come to find out, it was their east coast demeanor that threw me off, he, he. They are Joe Lucas and Sean Cross of IMC Artists and are screenwriters and filmmakers in their own right. Now the young lady in the middle, I know she's Italian, because she is Isabella Carlini. She's not only on a fast track at Paramount working in licensing and what not, she is also a fine singer, a soprano no less.

Now there is no mistaking that the guy I am pictured with here is not only Italian-American but also from the east coast, when you meet him, it's Tony Vitale. Now here is a talented and very versatile guy. Tony has worn many hats in many film productions, including actor, but truly shines in his roles as screenwriter and director as is evidenced by his growing list of directorial and writing credits starting with his directing debut "Kiss Me Guido," a clever Italian- American themed film, and continuing through "One Last Ride," "Very Mean Men," and "Jungle Juice."

I think the next picture is funny because of all the people in the picture, I think I am the least Italian looking, but there is actually only one Italian-American in the picture besides myself, can you picture which one? Here is a hint, the guy farthest from me is named Leonardo Rossetti, he is a Cameraman in the business. Was that too big a hint, he, he? The guy next to him is actor, producer, writer, director, Carl T. Evans.

You TV watchers may remember him from certain episodes of "Melrose Place," "Third Watch," "Sex and the City," "Guiding Light," "As the World Turns," and all kinds of other shows, but his passion is movies, and making them, like "Walking on the Sky," or his new one coming out in Winter of this year, "Frame of Mind."





And now for something embarrassing. I thought the young lady next to me was songwriter Kara DioGuardi when I saw her beautiful face from across the room. Once I approached her I realized that she wasn't and she told me her name.

Well, I called her Kara all night just to be funny and now guess what, I can't remember her name. I know she is going to see this and I will never hear the end of it. If someone knows her name, do tell me before she sees this.



Then there is Fred Salas who just wrote an interesting book, "The Poor Man's Guide to Buying Scalper Tickets." He's a sports announcer KUMD TV31 calling the action and giving you the basketball play by play. I asked him to giving me a demonstration just for fun, and it was funny, he sounded "just like the guy on TV," never mind that he is that guy, or one of them.

Finally, I got to join Isabella again as she was talking to Andrew Bishop, Vice President, Business Development for Fan Rocket, before the evening was done and the camera put away. Funny that with all the cameramen, directors, producers and writers in that room, why was I the one running around with a camera taking pictures and now writing about it? Maybe I should look into doing this for a feature movie myself, he, he.

Ciao for now,

Filippo

P.S. As I mentioned here is a video from Youtube.com featuring Shabba-Doo dancing on a Steve Allen show. (In English)

No comments: