Sunday, January 07, 2007

Time to Pay the Piper - La Dieta (The Diet)


Ciao a tutti,

To begin with I just had to post this picture because New York based artist and fan Antonio Mancio has been at it again and this time created this lovely graphic for me for the New Year. I thought you all would enjoy it. I liked it very much, grazie Antonio, Buon Anno to you and your wife Grace!

Next, I have been receiving the usual calls and E-mails, not only wishing me the best the New Year can bring but also telling me about some of the indulgences of the season past. So many people have been talking to me about their new diet resolutions and physical fitness plans for this month. I support you all in your efforts to get in shape and in health in time for the next holiday. Or better yet, may it become a way of life for you starting now!

I myself am making a trip out to see a new Italian-American acquaintance Michael Torchia who is an authority in health and fitness , the personal trainer of many Hollywood Stars and the host of a new show "Shape Up America." I am hoping he can give me a few tips that I can also share with you all as to how to get our resolutions off to a good start.

While having dieting on my mind, I had to laugh when I ran across a piece of paper on which I had copied a poem by the late great and beloved Italian (Romano) actor, comedian and poet Aldo Fabrizi. I had copied it off a menu from a little trattoria in Rome when I was last there and had not seen it until this week.

I will post the poem here in it's original Italian with accents of the Romano dialect. It is titled La Dieta (The Diet). For those of you who don't read Italian suffice it to say, it comes to the conclusion that after staying away from pasta and bread for ten days, it seems more like a year... I ask myself, it is really worth it? I don't even sleep well anymore... no, I've decided it's better to die with my fork in hand.


LA DIETA
Doppo che ho rinnegato Pasta e pane,
so' dieci giorni che nun calo, eppure
resisto, soffro e seguito le cure...
me pare un anno e so' du' settimane.

Nemmanco dormo più, le notti sane,
pe' damme er conciabbocca a le torture,
le passo a immaginà le svojature
co' la lingua de fòra come un cane.

Ma vale poi la pena de soffrì
lontano da 'na tavola e 'na sedia
pensanno che se deve da morì?

Nun è pe' fà er fanatico romano;
però de fronte a 'sto campà d'inedia,
mejo morì co' la forchetta in mano!

But seriously folks, have a Happy and HEALTHY New Year!

Filippo

P.S. Here is a video of a New Year Celebration in Italy, Roseto degli Abruzzi (Teramo) to be exact, where friends and family have a fairly traditional celebration complete with the long table, lots of food, dancing, fireworks and fun.

No comments: