Friday, January 26, 2007

The Way to a Man's Heart - Is Through His Stomach!


Ciao a tutti,

There is an old saying that says "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." If this is true then I would have to say that no one knows the way better than an Italian woman.

I had forgotten just how true this saying is until I spent an enjoyable and delicious evening with Tina Maron, a friend and fine cook and baker. I saw her at a party during the Christmas Holiday, and she was telling me about her newly remodeled fancy kitchen. I said something silly like, "I would love to cook in it."

What was I crazy? The way Tina cooks? Why would I want to cook for her. Luckily, she was gracious enough to let me off the hook and she cooked for me instead.

So this is how it played out. I arrived at her home atop a mountain in Palos Verdes overlooking everything and she greets me with a hug, a kiss and a Pomegranate Martini, that's it, I'm staying!

She had set a place for me at the bar in her kitchen so I could sit and eat while she prepared the rest of the meal. I felt guilty for about a minute and then I let it go, because she insisted I eat and enjoy, and so I did. And what did I eat, well, she had made me Focaccia in her presto, lickety-split pizza oven.

So we chatted about this and that and I ate and ate and was full before she even finished making dinner. Dinner was served in the dining room, meaning I had to give up King's Throne at the bar and sit at the table. But that didn't mean she stopped treating me like a King.

Dinner was delicious and the conversation was lively as was to be expected, if not because we are both Italian-Americans, maybe because of the Martini's.

I learned a lot of things during dinner, not just about food, because she really is an amazing cook, but about Italian-Americans. First, and most importantly, I found out that she is a fan of my Filippo and the Chef Show and she proceeded to tell me who she would like to hear, and eventually see on the show, when we go to TV.

Did you know Rick Fox of the Los Angeles Lakers is part Italian? I didn't, but Tina did. She was a wealth of information. How about Brooke Shields or Prince?

I felt at first like she was testing me, and frankly, I was doing pretty well. I have a long list of celebrities with Italian heritage with names that would surprise people. But few people surprise me like Tina did with her input and knowledge.

After the dinner came the kicker. She led me to the TV room and she propped me up on a comfy couch and put a foot stool out for my legs and put on an Academy Award nominated movie, "The Queen," of all things. Here I was being treated like a King sitting watching "The Queen." It was a most appropriate choice.

And as I watched, she was in the kitchen, cleaning up and surprising me with treats every once in a while. Again, I tried to pause the movie so we could enjoy it together, but she wouldn't have it.


Once again, I tried to feel guilty, but I just could let myself, plus she just wouldn't have it. If I didn't know better, I would think she was having just as much fun as I was.

And frankly, since I like to play host, I know the feeling, and it is good to know that the guests enjoy themselves. Although frankly, I don't know if I have every treated anyone as well as she treated me, he, he.

One of the treats was an espresso made so good I politely asked for another, and she graciously obliged. Then she asked me if I was ready for Zeppole. Zeppole? No one has ever made me Zeppole except my Mother.

I had to have a picture of it. Sure enough, she made them right there and we ate them hot out of the oil, there's no other way to eat them. Oh, except with a Limoncello chaser, which she promptly provided.

I was still finishing my second espresso, but I didn't turn down the Limoncello. Since I didn't get to have Zeppole for the Holidays, this was a real treat and it felt like an extension of the Season.

As much as I ate, Tina wanted to send me home with left overs. I couldn't, I just couldn't.

She had reached my heart through my stomach and filled them both up and now they were both OVER FLOWING, don't Italians know the meaning of that? Talk about Abbondanza!

I had so much fun, before I left I asked Tina what she was doing next Friday night, and she just laughed. She either didn't get the hint, or she got it and didn't think I was serious. Either that or I guess you only get treated like a King once in a while, and I don't blame here. Of course I'm kidding but I hope she gets treated like a Queen herself now and then.

She reigns in my book!

All Hail the Queen!

Filippo

P.S. Here are two videos of an Australian comedian, Paulie, who has an interesting and funny perspective on Gnocchi in the first video sketch, and a short funny rap song about it in the second. (In English, or Australian, if you will.)



No comments: